Sunday, June 1, 2008

Buffalo Olympic Tri Race Recap

So just got back from Buffalo tri, and while it was my first olympic distance, things didn't go nearly as well as I hoped.  I guess training wasn't great last week with being sick and getting over this bug,  but I just didn't put anything together today.  I am mainly pissed about the run and swim.  The water was cold, but didn't feel too bad once I got going.  A few fingers in my left hand must have got shocked by the cold because they sort of stopped working halfway through the 1500 meter swim; I couldn't really control my hand during the pull phase of the stroke and I imagine my triceps and deltoids weren't happy with my sleeveless wetsuit.  Regardless, I got out too slow for what I should be doing, and ended up swimming solo instead of drafting on some better swimmers.  T1 went alright; its always a shock to get out of the water and start running.  Initially, the bike leg didn't feel as good as at Apple Du, but I finished strong and ended up biking 24.5 mph for the 40km (60:50) so it wasn't too bad.  Even more encouraging was that there were only 3 guys that out-biked me by more than 30 seconds and I was able to match or even put distance on other guys who have been much stronger than me in the past.  I ended up passing about 6 riders within the first quarter of the race and settled into 8th place.  I got annoyed with some logistics on the course and would not be surprised if there were numerous accidents: they let a semitrailer make a right turn as I was approaching.  I had to stop to let him get through, which is not something I should have to do in a race.  There was also an out and back section on the bike, which was a nightmare at the intersection.  They had bikers going both ways and criss-crossing in the intersection.  I stopped because the crossing traffic had no intent on letting me by.  Fortunately another guy let me through.  Lastly, the olympic course meets up with the sprint course (there are 1500 racers in these two races) in the last 5 or so miles.  In most races, people do a good job of riding over to the far right in the road to allow others to pass, and you shouldn't be riding in the middle anyways.  This race was so congested (even worse on the run as it was an out and back with runners going both ways on the same shoulder! Trying to run by with 4 people across the path does not work).  Anyways, on the bike, I had to tell people to move over from the middle of the road when they had plenty of space on their right, and even had to pass just over the yellow line a few times to avoid the maze of athletes.  Very frustrating!  

Off the bike and onto the run, my legs still aren't feeling recovered from Apple Du last Saturday! (sad, I know).  And while a 5k is short enough to run fast off bike training, the 10k is probably too long right now.  While I was hoping to run a decent time, I knew right off the bike that the run would be a struggle.   My legs, especially my calves, were really tight and I couldn't get that 'pop' in my stride.  The heat started to take a toll on me a few miles in and my pace slowed even more (first real hot day, got up to 80).    I need to start doing a better job replacing fluids and carbs during these longer races as I was apparently looking very pale at the finish line. Eventually I caught up to Lovaas and then tried to run steady as I didn't think I was within reach of anyone else.  The unfortunate thing is a guy finished 10 seconds ahead of me and I didn't even know it because of all the congestion from the sprint race!  Damn.  I ended up in 7th place, in a time of 2:00:20.  

About the only good thing I took away from today was that I need to analyze the bike finish better...I took my feet out of the shoes a few miles before the end because I thought I was rounding the corner to the transition area.  It is amazing how much power you lose when you aren't clipped in!

Sam Hauck, a former college teammate (who is heading to Omaha for med school next year as well) had a great race.  He pulled out a 2nd place finish and earned some prize money.  Curt Wood put in an amazing swim and bike, struggled the last few miles on the run and collapsed before the finish from heat exhaustion.  He eventually took 3rd behind Sam by rolling across the finish.  Hopefully he has a quick recovery.  My brother Eric won the sprint course today and lowered the course record by 2 minutes.  

No comments: